Sunday, February 6, 2011

Today's Oscar Trivia #6

Real Men Many Best Actor nominations have come from playing real-life characters. Kirk Douglas was nominated as Best Actor for playing which famous artist in Lust for Life (1956)?

Retired Categories Not all Oscar categories have lasted—several have been retired over the years. At the very first Academy Awards, held in 1929, what film starring Janet Gaynor and George O'Brien became the only one to win an Oscar in the category of Best Unique and Artistic Quality of Production?

7 comments:

Jason Marshall said...

I missed the opportunity to answer your past trivia rounds, but I've got it this time. Unless these are some kinds of sneaky trick questions, Kirk Douglas was nominated for playing Vincent van Gogh and Best Artistic Production went to "Sunrise."

Mythical Monkey said...

No tricks. You nailed it!

Mythical Monkey said...

By the way if you're not following Jason's blog Movies Over Matter, you should. Like me, he's working his way through the history of movies chronologically, reviewing the top ten films from each year. Unlike me, he's a lot faster at it -- he's currently up to 1938.

Check it out!

Jason Marshall said...

Those are might kind words. I may be going a bit faster, but I'm still not as fast as I would like. I did the math and if I keep up the pace that I would like to be going, I won't finish until 2017. Thanks for the plug though!

Doug said...

Too easy...

Mythical Monkey said...

Too easy...

I blame Bob Osborne ...

Mythical Monkey said...

I did the math and if I keep up the pace that I would like to be going, I won't finish until 2017.

That puts you about thirty years ahead of me. In fact, I'm going so slow, I'm going backwards.