Wednesday, December 5, 2012

"Like They Chalked It Up On Drew Barrymore"

My friends, Mister Muleboy and Bellotoot, and I can barely communicate with each other without resorting to a patois of malapropisms, tangled idioms and sheer stupidity which we refer to as "chatter." Although Katie-Bar-The-Door and a few others speak the language well enough to navigate the country, Muleboy, Bellotoot and I are probably the only three people on earth who are fluent in it. It can be maddening, even to ourselves.

At some point during the Clinton administration, the phrase "like they drew it up on the chalkboard" became "like they chalked it up on Drew Barrymore," which in my head at least has become standard English—I have to remind myself it's nonsense when I'm at a ballgame dipping into my bottomless bag of sports cliches.

I hadn't planned on blogging about Drew Barrymore now or ever, but then saw her picture over at the Gunslinger and, well, you know me and Photoshop ...

As always, click on the picture to view it full-size.

3 comments:

mister muleboy said...

TMickey's Hat !

Mickey's Hat!

Bellotoot said...

Chatter: It's what they say!

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

He took some chalk and
drew on Drew, blue on blue
heartache on heartache